QuivertreeSouth Africa’s Boutique Book Publisher | 0 Comments
BOOKS THAT CELEBRATE SOUTH AFRICAN TALENT
Quivertree Publications is an award-winning, boutique book publisher based in Cape Town, South Africa that produces high quality and visually emotive books that celebrate South African talent; from township art and innovation to the finest cuisine.
In his introduction to Africanismo, one of Quivertree Publications’ latest books, co-founder Craig Fraser declares: “In South Africa, inspiration is unlimited. This book opens our eyes to the wonderland out there.” He could easily be referring to Quivertree itself – a boutique publishing company that has, since being founded by photographer Craig Fraser and graphic designer Libby Doyle in 2001, done very big things.
With its collective eye resolutely fixed on the unique aesthetics, eclectic contradictions and homegrown creativity of contemporary South Africa, Quivertree has published acclaimed and inspirational titles, mostly centred on design, decor and food. Combine this focus with high production and design values, and the result is the sort of spirited, beautiful and fundamentally desirable book for which the company has rapidly become renowned.
Quivertree is no stranger to awards – its titles have won a large number of these since its inception, and it is often compared with top international art publishers such as Phaidon Books and Assouline – but these are not what motivate this innovative young company. Its ongoing mission? ‘To approach subjects with integrity and a positive outlook. Our ambition is to produce books that appeal on an intellectual as well as emotional level. We want to remain small and to uncover inspiring indigenous talents that have perhaps been overlooked’.
FEATURED COOKBOOK TITLES:
Reuben Cooks Local
“The easy instructions allow you to capture the flavours of South Africa – a whether from sea, earth, field or orchard – a simply and successfully in your own kitchen, producing dishes guaranteed to become instant favourites with family and friends” Jos Baker
In this, his second cookbook, renowned South African chef Reuben Riffel shares his favourite local ingredients, highlighting seasonal items and South African producers.
• From ripe guavas and delicate water blommetjies to sweet fleshed spanspek, bright yellow mielies and crunchy apples; from rooibos and buchu to Karoo lamb and an abundance of seafood – these are the building blocks from which Reuben crafts his extraordinary variety of delectable yet accessible recipes;
• Here Reuben explores the best of South Africa’s produce: fresh ingredients that arrive at his acclaimed restaurants on a daily basis throughout the year;
• As Reuben demonstrates, these local, seasonal stars don’t need complicated cooking techniques, just simple ways of combining excellent ingredients to maximize flavour;
• Reuben’s deep-seated knowledge of local produce – its history, place, variety and season – is in part gained from contact with local South African producers and farmers, many of which are honoured in this book.
Reuben Cooks Local is a cookbook for food lovers with a passion for produce.
“This is the ultimate tool in any hostess’s party-planning artillery. Tina’s beautiful collection of celebratory menus gives me a whole lot of wonderful new reasons to eat, drink and make merry.” Sumien Brink - Taste Magazine
Celebrate is all about putting some swing in your entertainment style, and the inspiration solution for everyone who longs to be the perfect host.
• This new book by Tina Bester of Queen of Tarts (who has already authored two successful cookery titles) shows you how to have fun when entertaining;
• Recipes for different occasions are included, ranging from drinks with delectable snacks to an alfresco picnic feast, an indulgent supper for friends and a glamorous garden party;
• Even the most sophisticated recipes featured are easy to make;
• Gorgeous images and table-setting suggestions are also part of the package.
“This is how I like to eat, this is how we all love to eat” David Higgs
Café food at home is all about real, unfussy, make-at-home, delicious food. Evan Faull believes that cooking should be enjoyable, uncomplicated and fulfilling. His recipes contain simple combinations of striking flavours. Made from seasonal ingredients, easily found.
Evan devises a store cupboard of vibrant basics and builds classic café dishes around them. Creating straightforward, do-able and delicious meals that look and taste amazing. He also takes the mystery out of artisan baking with a practical, no-frills guide to the bread baking process. Designed for the novice baker, but with wow results!